Wednesday, February 17, 2016

How to Beat a Cold with Essential Oils

It's that time of year when at least one person in your household comes down with a cold. For years, we would make a run to the local pharmacy to purchase one of the many over the counter cold remedies. I tend to fall prey to the winter cold each and every year, but this time it was my husband that awoke with all of the symptoms: scratchy throat, trouble swallowing, runny nose, puffy eyes, runny nose. Normally, I would make a run for the medicine cabinet to grab something like Sudafed or Dayquil, but instead, I grabbed my book with oil remedies and whipped up a natural remedy!


My husband slightly questioned whether the oils would be a better remedy than the OTC meds. I am so glad he trusted my judgement because by the next day, he was back to feeling great again!

My remedy:

1. In a glass water bottle, I added 4 drops of Lemon. (It is best to use glass when mixing essential oils) This helped soothe his throat.

2. I applied a 50/50 blend of Lemon with Sweet Almond Oil (you can use any type of carrier oil) and applied it to his chest, lymph nodes and sinuses. It helped with all the congestion and snot since Lemon is a natural expectorant.

3. With Lavender being a natural antihistamine, I mixed a 50/50 blend with Sweet Almond Oil and applied it to the same places. Afterward, I did the same with a 50/50 blend of Peppermint and Sweet Almond Oil to help with the sinus pressure and to help him breathe clearly.

4. I applied Purification directly to his throat (no carrier oil). It helped him be able to swallow without pain.

5. This process was repeated every 4 hours. I mixed up enough that morning to make it a quicker application process.

6. I diffused Thieves all day to help cleanse the air. We didn't want this nasty bug making its way around the house!

To be on the safe side, I repeated the process for 2 days.

Once again, my Young Living Essential Oils saved the day and saved us from having to use an OTC medication!

If you do not have all of the necessary ingredients, feel free to email me or contact me on Facebook. Interested in learning more about Young Living products? Simply click here. Already love essential oils and are interested in joining the Young Living team? Contact me through the links mentioned above.

Erin Thompson
Young Living Distributor ID #3588592 

No comments:

Post a Comment